St. Luke’s Hospital
Manhattan, New York
The adaptive reuse of the pre-war hospital complex provides over 200 new residential units in Morningside Heights.
St. Luke’s Hospital on Morningside Heights was designed by architect Ernest Flagg. The original complex consisted of a series of patient pavilions separated by open-air walkways. Out of the six patient pavilions constructed between 1896 and 1929, four survive along with a former ambulance stable, also dating from 1896.
HQ served as historic preservation consultants to Delshah Capital in the rehabilitation and conversion of these five former pavilion buildings to residential use. HQ conducted historical research on the buildings and the related hospital structures which led to the complex being listed on the National Register of Historic Places. HQ consulted with architects CetraRuddy to make sure that all rehabilitations conformed to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards and the rules of the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. The preservation reviews included modifications for ADA-compliant accessibility, removal of the rear wall of one section of the building and construction of a new, modern rear wall and modern connectors between pavilions.





